The e-Medine Observatory is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of active citizenship. The Italian NPO aims at facilitating democratic engagement and civic participation of social actors, such as young citizens and public administrations within Mediterranean region, through the raise of awareness, raising campaigns, round tables and the dissemination of best practices.
e-Medine aims at improving the general participation to social life of the community and raise awareness about the importance of being «active citizens». In order to achieve its goals, the organization promotes the adoption of EduGames, ICT and other digital tools and methodologies that have already shown their effectivness in the field of active citizenship.
e-Medine uses on a daily basis Skype and other online collaboration tools that allow the company to operate easily throughout Europe, from Iceland to Turkey from Lithuania to Portugal.
Specific goals include, but are not limited, to
Among the general goals pursued by e-Medine, it is worth emphasising as well the development and implementation of innovative formal and non-formal online training programmes and the organization of round tables, meetings and events to encourage public discussion and strengthen social participation.
International meeting: e-Medine organizes and promotes cooperation
The current political scene indicates that young people are not interested in cooperating and participating to the community’s social life: nevertheless, the disaffection towards politics is only one mere side of the general outline of the issue. Apart from political engagement, e-Medine aims at educating and training young people to become critical citizens, developing a positive attitude and increasing their participation to activities such as volunteering, intercultural exchanges and awareness campains.
Active citizenship refers to people getting involved in their local communities and democracies at all levels. It can be as small as a campaign to clean up your street or as big as educating young people about democratic values, skills and political engagement. In essence, active citizenship is one of the most important step towards healthy societies.
e-Medine supports democratic cooperation based on the acceptance of universal human rights and the role of law. The Observatory values diversity and pursues knowledge through education and transfer of know-how. Ultimately, e-Medine attaches great significance to the key act of social inclusion.
The mission of Observatory e-Medine primarily concerns the promotion of active citizenship. Further objectives include:
- Fostering a sense of belonging among european citizens by giving them the opportunity to interact and participate in building a united, democratic and world-oriented Europe. This process would be enriched through cultural diversity, and social inclusion
- Supporting citizenship, engagement in policy-making processes and improving conditions for civic and democratic participation
- Development and implementation of innovative formal and non-formal online training programmes
- Promoting cooperation through the organization of round tables, meetings and events to encourage public discussion and strengthen social participation
- Enhancing tolerance and mutual understanding between citizens respecting and promoting cultural and linguistic diversity, while contributing to intercultural dialogue
- Promotion of mutual understanding, intercultural learning, solidarity, societal engagement and volunteering
- Transfer of innovative ideas aiming at sustainable development of territory and empowerment of citizens